Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
I like oregano for its medicinal qualities in addition to its wonderful taste. So at any time when I can use it in a recipe, I’m completely satisfied to. This Greek salad is a straightforward manner to make use of oregano and different Greek flavors in a tasty dish that satisfies the entire household. We love making this when the tomatoes and cucumbers are popping out of the backyard on the identical time.
A Little Historical past of Greek Salad
Whereas we don’t know for positive how the Greek salad got here to be, we do comprehend it’s not as outdated of a practice as many suppose. The reason being that the tomato didn’t change into a preferred Greek ingredient till across the flip of the 20th century.
It’s thought that the Greek salad was invented as a method to circumvent government-set costs for a easy tomato, cucumber, and onion salad by including a slab of feta cheese on high. This dish grew to become a favourite amongst vacationers and has since made its method to many eating places, potlucks, and yard get-togethers world wide.
Greek Salad With out Lettuce?
An genuine Greek salad is easy combination of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, olives, feta, olive oil, and spices.
Many individuals marvel why a standard Greek salad doesn’t comprise lettuce. The reply is easy. A Greek salad is a summer time dish since tomatoes and cucumbers develop in the summertime. In Greece, lettuce grows within the winter because it’s a cool climate plant, making it historically unavailable through the summer time.
An American-style Greek salad does embody lettuce and may embody:
- peperoncini (pickled sizzling peppers)
- bell peppers
- stuffed grape leaves
Many individuals agree that an genuine Greek salad can embody a few of these extra elements however it’s essential to miss the lettuce!
One other fascinating factor about this salad is that it’s historically made with massive chunks of cucumber and tomato, slightly than small dices.
Need Extra Greek-Impressed Recipes?
My household loves Greek meals (and it’s wholesome too!), so we eat a variety of it. Listed here are our favourite recipes:
- Greek Meatballs with Tzatziki Sauce – I like making this recipe in the summertime when fennel, cucumber, and mint are simply accessible on the farmer’s market.
- Tangy Greek Salad Dressing – Tangy and scrumptious, this dressing is nice on salads or over roasted greens. It’s additionally nice as a marinade for greens or meat.
- Greek Meatloaf Recipe – This meatloaf makes use of flavors equivalent to lemon, fennel, and mint which might be harking back to gyro meat I typically ate whereas touring in Europe.
- Greek Stir Fry Recipe – This quick and easy recipe is ideal for weeknights or any time you want a scrumptious meal shortly.
- Greek-Style Moussaka – I like easy casserole dishes that may be made forward and reheated when wanted. This one matches the invoice and has saved me many occasions once I’ve had a brand new child or one more reason that cooking was tough.
- Greek Chicken Skillet – This recipe is true up my alley because it makes use of one pan and contains plenty of wholesome Greek-inspired elements!
Greek meals is so scrumptious, we frequently embody a Greek-inspired dish in our weekly meal plan.
My Massive Fats Greek Salad Recipe
A easy, however scrumptious Greek salad of cucumber, tomato, onion, olives, topped with feta and drizzled with a straightforward French dressing.
In a medium bowl, mix the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and olives.
Add oregano, salt, pepper, vinegar, and olive oil and stir to mix.
Add diced feta and gently toss.
Refrigerate for an hour to let flavors meld.
Serve and revel in.
Do you like the flavors of Greece? What’s your favourite dish?